Saturday, February 19, 2011

Massive update: UNAB teaching, Fundacion Romelio, and La Tabacal

Once again, I've failed to consistently keep my blog updated. So here are the sparknotes on the last 5 weeks of my life in Colombia:

I returned back to Bucaramanga from my vacation travels in mid-January, as I was told my job would begin again on January 13th. I went to the English department, and was told that classes wouldn't actually be starting until the first week of February. It was kind of shocking to show up to my first day of work only to find out I could have kept travelling for another three weeks. Time is understood in a much more casual fashion here, and it comes as a shock to the system of somebody used to the rigid scheduling of the United States. I quickly learned that most students show up to class about 15 minutes late and show up to social events even later. To an extent, I've adopted these practices and I'm worried about learning to be 'punctual' when I'm back in the US.  

Even now that we're past the first week of February, my classes are only beginning to take shape. Every Tuesday morning I teach a class on English pedagogy to the Colombian professors in the English department. At times, it's a frustrating experience because the teachers at La UNAB are so heavily tied to their textbook that they don't really have the freedom to incorporate the ideas I present. It's also an odd situation because these professors all have their master's degrees in English pedagogy as well as several years of teaching experience. I, on the other hand, do not have any formal English teaching credentials and have spent quite little time in the classroom.  So there's quite a bit of role-reversal.

My weekly English conversation clubs also started last week, and have been going surprisingly well. In the first two classes I had over 20 new students show up...hopefully I can keep the momentum going. In the last conversation club I touched on the pending Colombia-United States free trade agreement. The students were unanimous in declaring that this deal would only allow the United States to further exploit Colombia's resources. I don't know enough about the free trade agreement's details to comment intelligently, but I'll be watching with anticipation as the bill nears a vote, which is expected to happen in March.

On Feb. 12th I had my first classes with the youngsters at Fundacion Romelio. I was accompanied in class by Jenna Lane, a British woman associated with the Red Cross who has also been doing volunteer work in Bucaramanga.  We focused on the basics such as: Hello, How are you, I'm fine, and Good-bye. After forty minutes of trying to maintain order in a class of 20 four-year-olds, I realized just how stressful being a pre-school teacher must be. Regardless of the occasional disorder, the class went really well and by the end the students were getting the hang of their new English vocabulary. 

So that's the Bucaramanga update, at least as far as English teaching is concerned. I won't lie, at this point I'm frustrated with the experience. While I'm grateful for the teaching experiences my university has offered me, I still feel like I'm being underutilized. I came to Colombia under the impression that I would be working with professors in their classrooms. However, I spend only one to two hours a week doing this kind of work. As I said, UNAB professors have to jump through so many hoops fulfilling the book's requirements that they don't have much time to invite me to their classes. Also, being told to return in mid-January only to begin working in mid-February makes me feel as though my time isn't being respected. I understand that I'm the guest in a foreign country, and as such it's my obligation to adapt to the culture. At the same time, I wonder when critique from my part might be necessary...if no one ever raises their voice, nothing changes. Either way, I know that in the coming weeks my classes will be picking up, so I’m looking forward to more positive teaching experiences.

On a different note: On Feb.19th my friends Luis and Mayra-as well as the previously mentioned Jenna- and I spent the day doing volunteer work at Finca ‘La Tabacal’. This small farm, about 30 minutes south of Bucaramanga, provides housing and other support services for land-mine victims. Most people who suffer land-mind accidents live in rural settings, and are thus quite far from medical facilities which can address their needs. La Tabacanal offers victims and their families a safe place to stay while they are undergoing treatment in nearby Bucaramanga.
Currently, the farm is developing its tomato garden, so my friends and I spent the day weeding and digging holes. We also took Fabian and Brian, two young boys who are living on the farm while their father is receiving treatment, to nearby GirĂ³n to get some ice-cream.

Fabian, 5, and Brian, 3, taking refuge in a rainbow 




Luis, Mayra, and Jenna having some ice-cream with Fabian and Brian in Giron's central plaza


 The tomato garden. It's still a work in progress, but soon there will be more than 50 tomato plants sprouting from this patch of land


The farm's residential facilities. Fabian and Brian, along with their mother and father, stay in the small pink house in the center of the photo. 

I've been going to La Tabacal about once a week for the past month. I hope to be able to keep going and to watch the progress of the nascent tomato garden. It's nice to be part of the good work La Tabacal does...at the same time, it's heart-breaking to see people whose lives were nearly destroyed just because of one misplaced step. I still haven't come to terms with what I've seen. A lot to process.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mike! I think you really need to talk to the professors and express your point of view so that you have a better teaching experience.

    ReplyDelete