Monday, October 18, 2010

I saw this coming

Before arriving in Colombia, I decided I would start a blog so that I could keep my friends and family updated on my South American adventures. I told myself I would keep my blog diligently and that I would post all kinds of amazing insights and pictures. But I knew this was just a pipe-dream and that my blog-discipline would soon wane.

And waned it has. So, after not writing for just over a month, I'm returning to the blog-o-sphere...we'll see if thoughts of interest to you, the reader, follow.

Here's the skinny on my English teaching: Not much to report. I spend most of my time 'observing' professors and rarely am I given time to do activities with the students. I guess this is supposed to be a 'prep' semester for me so that next semester I can (theoretically) take over my own class. But I've sat in classrooms for at least 90% of my life and 'observed' professors. To be sure, I've learned a few things from this most recent observation period (like don't sweat it when most students show up 15 minutes late). But the only way I'll be prepared to be a teacher is to actually teach. To make mistakes and learn from my mistakes.

Speaking of mistakes: I've been teaching weekly technical English classes to nurses at my university's medical school. It's not that this was a mistake...it's that for some reason only 3 of the 10 nurses have been coming to class as of late. I don't know if it's something I did. Could be due to the fact that without knowing it I designed an entire class period using activities from a book all the nurses had finished last semester. But I have a feeling their absence is a product of their recognizing the following: 1) They know I'm not in charge of their grade, and 2) I'm more or less their own age and therefore have difficulty being an authority figure, and 3) Having a demanding medical course load AND working at a medical clinic in the nights maybe doesn't leave much energy for going to yet another English class. Who knows. I will admit one big mistake on my part. I think I underestimated my students' enthusiasm. Everyone hates studying grammar, but the few times these nurses have had the chance to actually have fun with their English, they've been incredibly energetic and engaged. For example, one week we did a role-play in which a team of nurses had to explain to a student and her family that she had terminal cancer and only 6 months to live. They really liked this activity and especially enjoyed torturing their classmate with details about her impending death. 'See you at the funeral' was the last phrase uttered before time was up and class was dismissed.

In other news: I've recently been involved with an incredible organization in Bucaramanga called Fundación Romelio. Fundación Romelio advocates for the citizens of Northern Bucaramanga, one of the cities poorest and most disenfranchised neighborhoods. Specifically, Fundación Romelio operates a 9 classroom educational complex designed specifically for children ages 0-5. The idea is that this phase of life is extremely crucial for human development and that all children (especially those living in trying circumstances) deserve and need a nurturing environment in these early years. I visited the organization last Friday, and after sharing a snack of popcorn and crackers with some of the kids, we spent the next hour dancing. These four year old Colombian girls are the only ones who haven't made fun of my complete inability to dance. (It's not my fault I'm tall, white and Irish and therefore bereft of rhythm and grace). At Fundación Romelio being 6'1'' makes me comparatively a two-story building to these little people. It was nice being the center of attention of so many smiling faces who just wanted to share some time dancing and running around. And while all these kids seem very happy for the few hours a day they get to spend at Fundación Romelio, most will return to wooden shacks with dirt floors and insufficient protection from the rain. Unlike many kids, most of the children at Fundación Romelio (half of whom live in families which have been displaced by Colombia's internal conflict) can't wait to get to school in the morning and are reluctant to leave in the afternoon. Should any of you back home be interested in learning more about or supporting Fundación Romelio's incredible efforts, here is their web-page (in Spanish :S...but take a look and I'll answer any questions you may have!): http://www.romelio.net/index.html
So those are the Bucaramanga happenings for now. More to follow. Unfortunately a bunch of ants have just dug a hole leading to our kitchen counter...so I should probably go take care of that.



No comments:

Post a Comment